Please click on an image to enlarge

We welcomed Lodge Clydebank No. 1234 on 28th March 1940, who conferred the M.M. Degree on seven F.C. Freemasons, our first visit to or from a Lodge in a year. On 16th April 1940, the Lodge visited 1234 to confer the M.M. Degree.

On 13th June 1940 the Barns were informed of the probable death of our first member in the present conflict, Bro. Sgt. John McGregor Little, serving with the R.A.F., reported missing in action. In July, Bro. James M. Gray resigned his Office as Bible Bearer because he had received his call up papers and would joining the Royal Air Force within days. At the Regular Meeting of 8th August 1940, the Master Bro. Hood paid tribute to Bros. Gray and William Tivendale Junior Chaplain had joined His Majesty's Forces and wished them God speed and a safe return. On 26th September, it was confirmed that Bro. Little had indeed died while serving. Silent tribute was paid to another young man who had made the ultimate sacrifice for his country.

The Lodge heard the sad news of the deaths of four more Brethren at our meeting of 28th November 1940, Bros. John Tonner, a Second Engineering Officer in the Merchant Navy and Frederick Gibson, a Leading Aircraftman in the R.A.F. Reserve were killed by enemy action. James Cormack Henderson, a civilian aged 31, was also killed while employed at Campbeltown docks during an enemy air raid. We lost a valued Past Master too, with the death of Bro. Daniel McIntyre. Bro. McIntyre, a Founder Member had been Master in 1910 - 1911, P.G.S.W. in 1919 - 1920 and P.G.L. Treasurer from 1922 - 1940. He also served on Grand Committee.

Throughout the War years, the Lodge made donations to the serving members.

In December 1940, a letter was read on behalf of serving Brethren aboard H.M.S. Lochinvar, who had visited the Barns and were warmly welcomed. The letter expressed the gratitude of the visitors for the way they had been received.

A Memorial Service was held on Sunday 2nd February under the auspices of the P.G.L. of Dunbartonshire in memory of Bro. Daniel McIntyre, M.M. Lodge Govandale No. 437, Founder Member and Past Master of Lodge Barns o' Clyde No. 1018, Past Provincial Grand Treasurer and Bro. James Kelso M.M. The Bridgeton and Glasgow Shamrock and Thistle Lodge No. 275, Founder Member of Lodge Barns o'Clyde No. 1018 and Founder Member and first Master of Lodge Clydebank No. 1234, Past Provincial Grand Senior Warden.

13th March 1941 is a date never to be forgotten by anyone of a certain age who lived in Clydebank. The first of two nights of the Blitz saw German bombers do their utmost to destroy the shipbuilding town which contributed so much to the War effort. That Thursday saw a Barns Meeting in the Temple on Dumbarton Road. A F.C. Degree had been conferred on seven Brethren by the Master Bro. Porteus. Thereafter, a M.M. Degree on five Brethren was in progress when air raid sirens were sounded. Bro. Alexander Phillips W.S.W. hurriedly concluded the Degree and the Lodge was closed. Leaving the Temple, one of the new made Master Masons, Bro. Trevor Roberts, 39, Bro. Duncan Gardner, aged 33 and an un-named visiting Brother were all killed as a result of the bombing. There was a Barns legend that the body of Bro. Roberts was lost among the rubble of the decimated town. While this might have been appropriate following a Third Degree, in fact he was taken to a house at 3 Browns Buildings where he lost his fight for life the following day.

Browns Buildings were the tenements on the south side of Dumbarton Road, starting from the shipyard running to where the old Woolworth's shop was situated. The tenements were known locally as "Brown's Building" because they were owned by John Brown and Company. On the valuation rolls the tenements are listed under Dumbarton Road, but there doesn't seem to be a no. 3, so it is difficult to say exactly where this tenement was. As the number is low however, an intelligent guess would be that it was one of the tenements nearer to the yard.

Bro. Gardner, badly injured in the raid was tended by another member, Bro. Daniel Sharpe, who assisted in applying a tourniquet to his wound. Ironically, Bro. Sharpe was initiated, passed and raised on the same evenings as Bro. Roberts. Sadly, Bro. Gardner died of his wounds days later, on the 22nd in the Emergency Hospital at Lennox Castle. On that same evening, Bro. James Edgar Wright and Neill Wright were badly injured and Bro. David Thomson Goudie was injured so severely that he was permanently invalided. The Master, Bro. Tommy Porteus got home to find his bungalow in ruins and had to find temporary shelter. Bro. Porteous, in desperation, ran to the local Police Station to ask them to look after the Lodge's most valuable items, the Charter and Master's Chain. The Police didn't want to take responsibility. To his credit, Bro. Porteus looked after these precious items throughout the troubled days.

This memory is from Bro. Dan Sharpe Jr., now resident in New Zealand. "I was at a scout meeting of the Dalnottar Scouts that night. We met in the hall between Agamemnon Street and Shaftsbury Street, you went through a close from Dumbarton Road and up a stair to get to the hall. We stopped at nine o'clock because our scoutmaster Duncan Gardner and the assistant scoutmaster were going to a Meeting and they wanted to see my father, Daniel Sharpe become a Master Mason that night. The party that went from the scouts that night was Duncan Gardner, Teddy Miller (my uncle) and, I think, Gordon Cameron, they must have just reached the Barns o' Clyde when the raid was just getting started. I can only report this as my father told it to me. It must have been after the meeting was abandoned there were some of the members watching a big fire up Dumbarton Road in the direction of Yoker when a bomb came down the front of the building opposite the hall and exploded on the pavement. The shrapnel mowed down those who had been watching the fire. Those who were wounded seem to have been brought into the hall and an old lady who was a retired nurse came in and gave what first aid she could, it was she who put a tourniquet on Duncan Gardner's leg and got my father to hold it. After attending to the wounded the lady left to go and get an ambulance to remove the wounded to hospital. All this in the middle of the Blitz. My father spoke very highly of the actions of this lady. When the hall was cleared my father and another uncle who was visiting us that night from Grangemouth made their way home to Dalmuir, they reached home about 2.30a.m. Duncan Gardner's leg was amputated but he died of post operative shock about five days later."

The bomb that fell opposite our Temple was in fact one of several in the close proximity that rained down. This particular one hit the Public Library, which was later re-built. The fire at Yoker referred to was the blaze in the Yoker Distillery, which suffered several direct hits.

The fatalities from the two air raids resulted in 528 dead, 617 severely injured and many hundreds more injured by blast debris. It took some time to establish a final tally, many bodies were lost in the rubble. After the terrible raids only seven houses in Clydebank were left undamaged and 96 percent of the population had to be evacuated for a time. The Clydebank Blitz began at 9.10 p.m. on Thursday 13th March and lasted till 6.20 a.m. on Friday morning. That same evening, the bombers returned at 8.35 p.m. and left at 2.27 a.m. on Saturday morning, revisiting between 4.10 a.m. and 5.30 a.m.

The Barns didn't hold another Meeting till May, the building and the town had been badly damaged.

Another Barns man, Bro. James McWilliam P.M. reached the rank of Senior Warden in the P.G. Lodge of Dunbartonshire in 1942. Initiated in 1913, Bro. McWilliam reached the Chair of the Barns in 1931 - 32 and, in 1943, was made P.G. Lodge Almoner.

On 14th March 1942, Bro. Porteus, Master, marked the first anniversary with a tribute to the Brethren who died during the Blitz and made reference to Bro. Goudie, who was still in hospital and regretfully would never walk again. The Brethren stood in silent tribute.

In April a gentleman called William Wilson was initiated into the Lodge. He received his Second Degree the following month. We were then contacted by Bro. Thomas L. Dunn P.M., Secretary of The Glasgow Star Lodge No. 219 who intimated a man of the same name had previously been rejected by that Lodge. Enquiries were made and the errant Brother admitted by letter he had not revealed his rejection on his application form. The Lodge immediately suspended the Brother sine die, the suspension later being upheld by P.G. Lodge and Grand Lodge.

1018's long serving Secretary Bro. William Phillips was honoured by Grand Lodge in 1942.

The death of Bro. Leslie Murgatroyd, 24, serving with the Royal Navy, through enemy action was reported on 29th December 1942. Bro. Murgatroyd died on the 17th December when his vessel H.M.S. Firedrake was torpedoed in mid Atlantic on a voyage to Canada.

The Secretary, Bro. Phillips read a letter on 13th May 1943 from Bro. Alfred Chappell, Secretary of the William McKinlay Lodge No. 876 Chicago stating that they had received a visit from a M.M. of the Barns, Bro. William J. Fanning.

Another father and son joined the Lodge in September 1943, John Cordiner (55) a cabinetmaker and Alex (22) a carpenter in the Royal Navy being initiated by Bro. Andrew Dick, in the only Degree he ever conferred.

The Master, Bro. James Stewart M.A. took pride in telling the Brethren at the Meeting of 9th December 1943 that Bro. Captain Edward James Stormont, initiated in 1917, roll no. 992, had decorated by the King for gallantry at sea. At the same Meeting, Bro. Alexander Johnstone, serving overseas with the 51st Highland Division received a "rousing welcome" on a return visit to his Mother Lodge. Bro. Johnstone had served in North Africa, Italy and France; and was wounded at Normandy and later invalided home in 1944.

Two men serving with the Royal Navy, John Kyle and Herbert Ernest Henry Checksfield were initiated in December 1943. Bro. Kyle was a stoker. Keen to continue his Masonic career, he affiliated to Macartney Lodge No. 3283 in Gravesend, Kent. Bro. Kyle received his F.C. and M.M. Degrees in his adopted Lodge in February and May 1944. Bro. Checksfield, a chief mechanic received his further Degrees at Artifex Lodge No. 4555. These Brethren were granted permission to receive their Degrees in Kent by permission of Bro. W.J. Sebbern, P. A. Grand Secretary, Province of Kent. He wrote intimating that he "took pleasure in making all the arrangements."

We again had a letter from America read on 11th May 1944, the Secretary indicating that a Brother of our Lodge had visited Eagle Rock Lodge No. 442 in Los Angeles.

10th August 1944 saw the Lodge informed that Bro. Cpl. William Ingles Brown, a F.C. Freemason, roll no. 2581 had been killed at Normandy, the last Barns man to die in the Second World War. Bro. Brown, wounded on 6th June at Sword Beach, died of his wounds on 12th July 1944.

The General Report for 1944 showed a busy year. There had been 21 Regular Meetings, 32 Emergency Meetings and 41 Committee Meetings. 117 gentlemen and 2 affiliates had joined. Attendances remained high. We had an average of 96 at the Regular Meetings and 47 at the Emergency Meetings. In December that year, Bro. Archibald McAllister was awarded the Honorary rank of Grand Marshal in recognition of his long service to the Craft. At our Meeting on 28th December, the Lodge was advised that Bro. McAllister had recently received a telegram of congratulations from their Majesties King George VI and Queen Elizabeth on the occasion of his 65th Wedding Anniversary. On 14th June 1945, at our Regular Meeting, the Master Bro. James Malcolm presented Bro. McAllister, on behalf of the Lodge, a beautiful fountain pen, in recognition of his award from Grand Lodge. Bro. McAllister, then aged 84, resigned Office in 1946 due to ill health, having served as Benevolent Fund Treasurer for 37 years, then becoming the first Brother to fill the new Office of Almoner. He passed away in 1950.

Sadly, the Lodge lost Bro. William Phillips, who had been Secretary since the formation of the Lodge in 1907, a grand total of 38 years, only resigning Office when serious ill health meant he could no longer fulfil his duties.

A letter was read in March 1945 from Kerrisdale Lodge No. 117, Vancouver to say that Bro. James Caldwell from 1018 had visited. Bro. Caldwell had joined the Barns in 1928.

In August 1945 a letter was read from Transportation Lodge No. 842, Buffalo, New York intimating a member of 1018, Bro. William Jones was seeking affiliation. Bro. Jones, initiated in 1924, duly joined that Lodge after the required paperwork had been completed.

With the end of hostilities in September 1945, the Lodge agreed to create a "Welcome Home" board to be displayed in the Lodge premises, listing the members who had served their King and country. Proof of the affection for their Mother Lodge held by members of 1018 came two months later. A sum of money was received by a Brother in South Africa who requested he remain anonymous, the money to be put to the Welcome Home Fund being built to treat the returning servicemen. In that same month, Bro. Donald MacLeod presented the Lodge with three daggers which had been captured during the War.

The following month saw Bro. Martin warmly welcomed back into the Lodge having left his service in the Navy. And, one month after that, a letter was read from the Secretary of Lodge St. Thomas No. 576 Gibraltar requesting our agreement that they confer the F.C. and M.M. Degrees on Bro. Thomas Taylor of the Barns. Bro. Taylor was serving with the Royal Engineers and duly received his Degrees in January and February the following year.

In that year too, the Male Voice Choir was under the leadership of Bro. J. Fraser.

On 7th December 1945 the Lodge was treated to a lecture called "An Historical Sketch of Lodge Barns o'Clyde" by Bro. Samuel Shields, who had served as an Office Bearer for 25 years. Bro. Shields had spent 18 months reading Minute Books, Sederunt Books, Petition Book and Roll Book and spoke for fully two hours to a packed hall. As with many older documents of value, we have no copy of this work.

A mere six days later a warm welcome was extended to Bro. Currie (home on leave), Bro. Miller (returning after five years as a P.O.W.), Bro. Burns (on his demobilisation) and Bro. John Cattanach of H.M. Navy, Initiated in May 1907 and who was paying his first visit to his Mother Lodge since 1913, having "travelled the Globe a few times and served in the two Great Wars." At that Meeting, attended by 421 Brethren, we were honoured by the presence of Bro. Sir Iain Colquhoun of Luss (7th Bart), Past Grand Master Mason of Scotland and Bro W. Reid, R.W.P.G.M.D. of Dunbartonshire.

Several brethren of the Lodge had given their lives in the terrible Second World War. They were:

  • Bro. William Ingles Brown: Corporal, 9 Field Ambulance, Royal Army Medical Corps, wounded at Sword Beach, Normandy 6th June 1944, died 12th July 1944.
  • Bro. Duncan Gardner: Civilian, died 22nd March 1941, Lennox Castle Hospital following Clydebank Blitz.
  • Bro. Frederick Gibson: Leading Aircraftman, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, died 10th November 1940.
  • Bro. James Cormack Henderson: Civilian, died 6th November 1940, Victoria Hall, Campbeltown, following enemy air raid on naval dockyard.
  • Bro. John McGregor Little: Sergeant, 85 Squadron, Royal Air Volunteer Reserve, died 19th May 1940.
  • Bro. Leslie Murgatroyd: Engine Room Artificer 4th Class, Royal Navy, H.M.S. Firedrake torpedoed mid Atlantic, died 17th December 1942.
  • Bro. Trevor Parry Roberts: Civilian, died 14th March 1941, Clydebank Blitz.
  • Bro. John Tonner: Second Engineer Officer, Merchant Navy, died 17th July 1940.

The Barns changed another tradition in 1945 when we included the Master Elect's photograph on the cover of our Installation programme. Bro. James Malcolm's image adorned the cover and this has continued to this day.

Warm welcomes were afforded to other members as they returned to their Mother Lodge, having come home from service. On 14th February 1946 Bro. John A.G. Bellingham, demobbed after four years in Japan; on 28th March Bro. Roy Martin, after long service in the Royal Navy, on 11th April Bro. George Bell Crossan, with the forces in Canada, on 8th August to Bro. James Kean returning after four and a half years in the Forces. At the February Meeting too, a special welcome was given to Bro. Edward Freer, a Founder Member, making a return visit to the Barns.

Twin brothers Hugh and Robert Nelson, aged 19 and both apprentice electricians, were initiated into 1018 on 25th February 1946. They took their Second and Third degrees together but neither advanced to the Mark.

The Lodge was invited to Lodge St. James (Kilwinning) Tarbolton No. 135 to confer the M.M. Degree on 6th April 1946, the same Degree at St. John Catrine No. 497 on 20th April, again at Lodge Western No. 1346 on 18th June, and to Lodge St. Patrick No. 1309 on 10th August to confer the Mark Ceremonial. We, in turn, welcomed 135, 497, 543 and 1346 as visitors. After the dearth of invitations in the last couple of years, we were receiving and going out again.

The Catrine visit is especially notable. After a splendid Degree, during which the contribution of the Barns o'Clyde Male Voice Choir was praised, and a Harmony when friendships were cemented, the Barns made to return to their two double decker buses for the long journey home. Although midnight had passed and the small hours of Sunday morning were on the clock, the windows of the village homes were thrown open and the wives and families of the Brethren waved at the Barns men. By request of the St. John Brethren, the Male Voice Choir grouped again and an open air impromptu rendition of several hymns was given.

A Special Meeting was called on 16th May 1946 to which the Bridgeton and Glasgow Shamrock and Thistle Lodge No. 275 were invited. Our late, long serving Secretary Bro. Phillips had affiliated to the Barns from 275 and the evening was given to the unveiling of a Memorial to Bro. Phillips in the form of a stained glass window and depicted "Wisdom, Strength and Beauty". It was revealed that a shrine had been erected to his memory in Dalnottar Cemetery, Section C, plot 629.

Our Hall required a major amount of work to be done after the damage sustained during the blitz. Extensive repairs were made to the gable end wall, the roof and the main hall needed re-flooring.

On 4th July 1946, three brothers, Alfred (23), Albert (27) and Thomas McWilliams (37) were initiated together with three other Candidates by Bro. William Hamilton J.D.

The members requested a visit to Ibrox Park, home of Rangers F.C., and a letter of reply from the football club was sent by Mr. Bill Struth, manager of the Rangers. Mr Struth advised that with regret, decorators were working throughout the premises and that no visits were being permitted meantime.

Two more blood brothers joined 1018 in September, when James (24) and John (27) McLeish were initiated. Bro. J. Murdoch conferred the Degree on them and five more gentlemen with 125 signing the Book.

In October that year, among the visitors who praised the Degree work of Bro. Frank Fleming, conferring for the first time, was Bro. Menzies P.M. Hedworth Lodge No. 2418 in South Shields..

On 25th October 1946, Lodge St. John No. 497, Catrine visited the Lodge to confer the M.M. Degree on six Fellow Crafts. After the Degree, Bro. Maxwell Stobbs, Master was given Honorary Membership of 1018. The attendance was a marvellous 262.

December 1946 saw a Meeting where seven Candidates were initiated, among them Alexander Haddock, aged 45, William John Haddock, aged 30 and Samuel Fleming Haddock aged 28.

The Annual report for 1946 showed that after the War years, the Lodge was well on the road to being the vibrant focus of activity it had been. Our attendances were up considerably, the average being 149 for Regular Meetings and 74 for Emergence Meetings. There had been 55 Meetings and 58 Committee Meetings. 114 Initiates and 8 Affiliates had joined the Roll. Visitations went further afield with trips to Tarbolton and Catrine. The Installation in December saw 415 attend.

Our Minute of the Meeting held on 23rd January 1947 states that a "right royal welcome" was given to Bro. James Gow, a Founder Member living out-with the district, who was visiting the Barns for the first time in many years. Bro. Gow and 131 others witnessed Bro. William Tivendale, Chaplain confer the First Degree on seven Initiates, followed by Bro. James Malcolm, I.P.M. conferring a Second Degree on six E.A.s.

Five days later, an Emergency Meeting was held and among those attending was a Bro. Walker, visiting his Mother Lodge for the first time in many years, having emigrated to the United States. The work that evening was a First Degree by Bro. James Cassells and a Third Degree by Bro. Tommy Porteus P.M.

Our Meeting of 24th February 1947 was unusual in that two of the seven gentlemen initiated that evening went on to become Master of the Lodge in later years. Frank Cuthel Swanson, a 34 year old charge hand became Master in 1956 while Henry "Hector" McKenzie, an 18 year old engineer took the Chair in 1961. Bro. Frank Fleming, a young Office Bearer was conferring for only the second time and 28 attended the Emergency Meeting.

Bro. Archibald Hood was Master on a very special evening in Barns history. On 7th March 1947 a "Welcome Home Dinner and Presentation" was arranged for those brave men from the Barns who had fought in the Second World War. Originally, it was planned to give each man a gift of £5 at a Celebratory Dinner, however Bro. George Miller suggested a gold Masonic ring be more appropriate. This was impossible due to the metal shortage, so a dress Lodge apron was created for the returning heroes. They were made by Kenning's regalia shop in Glasgow, managed by the cousin of Bro. Miller's wife, one Davie Bean. The funding came from dances organised by Bro. Miller. 74 members were invited, but owing to some still serving and others having been demobbed in other parts of the country, 49 who served their country attended, were piped into the hall by Bro. David Marshall, late Pipe Major of the Scots Guards, and were presented with a dress lambskin M.M. Apron. Five other aprons were presented to the fathers of Barns members who could not be present. Exact numbers vary according to various sources. The foregoing numbers are from the Minute Book, however, the photograph taken that evening has 60 Brethren in it and the Annual Report created at the year end states that 74 Brethren were there. 250 attended the Meeting and Dinner and the heroes were given a splendid evening. In reply to Bro. Hood's kind comments, replies and thanks to the Lodge were given by Bro. Major Ernest Petrie on behalf of the Army, Bro. L. A. C. William Tivendale on behalf of the R. A. F. and Bro. Chief Petty Officer John Martin on behalf of the Royal Navy.

On 27 March 1947, another far travelled visitor came to the Barns. Bro.Wilson, resident in Tanganyika (now Tanzania) witnessed Bro. Frank Fleming confer the First Degree on six candidates. 125 Brethren signed the Book.

In May, the Lodge accepted with regret the resignation of the Senior Warden, Bro. James Seivewright, who was emigrating to South Africa. The Master, Bro. Archibald Hood paid fulsome praise to Bro. Seivewright for his sterling service to the Lodge. One month later, the Barns lost another fine member, when Bro. George Miller resigned as Junior Chaplain, as he was leaving for a new life in New Zealand. Reference was made to the Barns losing "an enthuisiastic Office Bearer and energetic Degree worker." Bro. Miller was presented with a dress apron as a gift from the Lodge. Two weeks before his departure, Bro. Miller conferred a Second degree on three E.A.s. In August, another Office Bearer was lost when Bro. John Kennedy resigned as Architect as he was emigrating to Candada. Bro. Kennedy was presented with a dress apron in recognition of his work for the Barns.

A different sort of Lodge outing took place on 22nd December 1947, when 250 members and partners went to the Kelvin Hall, Glasgow to the Circus. Two representatives of the Barns were invited by the Town Clerk to be present on 30th October 1947 to see H. R. H. Princess Elizabeth launch a vessel, R. M. S. Caronia of the Cunard White Star Line. The Lodge agreed that Bro. Archibald Hood, Master and Bro. George Hill P.M. Secretary represent the Barns. The Brethren were also allowed expenses including a sum to replace the lost day's wages.

On Christmas Day 1947, the Lodge held a Meeting where five candidates were initiated, among them brothers Ian (22) and Robert Robertson (26), by Bro. William Tivendale I.G. Even on this most festive of days, 53 people turned up to the Meeting.

Towards the end of 1947, and after many meetings between Lodge Officials and representatives of the Insurers, our War Damage claim was settled when we received a sum a little over £164, which was deemed "very satisfactory".

550 Brethren and partners enjoyed a Lodge night out at the theatre on 7th February 1948 with a visit to the Metropole Theatre. Another sort of Lodge outing took place on 20th February 1948 when, for Brethren only, a trip to the Pantomime at the Queen's Theatre was enjoyed.

That same month saw Bro. Martin, on leave from the Navy and Bro. Alex McFarlane Jr, on leave from service in Germany welcomed into their Mother Lodge and given a tremendous welcome.

Lodge Thorntree No. 1038 visited 1018 in May 1948 and conferred a M.M. Degree on five F.C. Freemasons. The Prestonpans Lodge's Master, Bro. David Ostler conferring the Degree which was witnessed by 157 Brethren.

The passing of Bro. James McWilliam P.M. was noted with sorrow.

It was agreed in 1949 that the Lodge install a telephone, our number to be Clydebank 2288.

17th March 1949 saw father and son Charles Gordon White (54) and Charles Gordon White Jr. (27), initiated into the Lodge at an Emergency Meeting, the Degree being carried out by Bro. William Hamilton W.S.W.

Richard Sharpe Adams, initiated 28th April 1949, later affiliated to and was Master of Lodge Cochno No. 1304.

In the late 1940s, as had happened after the end of the First World War, the Lodge lost many members who chose to leave for other countries, among them Bro. Malcolm, I.P.M. who left for Canada in 1948.

A letter was read on 28th April 1949 from Bro. Ballantyne, who had emigrated to Canada, affiliated to Oakwood Lodge No.553 in Ontario and became Master thereof. Sadly, this Lodge no longer exists.

1949 saw the Barns resume the visitation to Lodge St. John Catrine No. 497, again conferring the M.M. Degree. It was in that year's Annual Report too, that Bro. George Hill P.M. Secretary told the Brethren that all repair work to the building had been completed, apart from some work to the front of the building.

On 13th October 1949 Mr. James Gregg Butchart became the Barns 3,000th Initiate.


<<< BACK - 1930-1939

NEXT - 1950-1959 >>>